Skip to main content

Bats in the Belfry




What to do with noisy baby boomers.







Since my last blog Elephants in the Sanctuary I have had more opportunity to think about and have conversations with people about what to do with baby boomers in the church. Many of these baby boomers - who are part of vibrant contemporary churches, feel that they have somehow come to the end of their usefulness and feel -that in the great move of God that these churches are seeing, that they are somehow being left behind.

Here are some facts that I have found:

·         Nearly all the mega church senior leaders around the world are in fact baby boomers, that is those born between 1946 and 1966. C3, Hillsong, Willow Creek, Saddleback to name but a few.
·         All these churches have vibrant youth programmes and use contemporary music to attract  youth.
·         Reaching the next generation is always important.
·         Those that are the most consistent in having intergenerational ministries, such as Willow Creek church for example have seen steady, steadfast and long lasting growth, through all the age spectrum, not just over years but over decades.
·         Those mega churches that have neglected the baby boomer generation have seen their financial position decline by as much as 28% over a decade.
·         40% of leaders in mega churches are baby boomers.( the next level down from senior leader)
·         Baby boomers are 78% more likely to be the counsellors , pastors and administrators in mega churches than younger generations
·         61% of baby boomers are not afraid of a challenge and learning new things.

What does these facts and statistics tell me? What does all this have to do with bats in the belfry?
From reading the above I see that a great many baby boomers are still actively involved in churches that are growing and are relevant contemporary and vibrant. I also see that baby boomers are not silent nor willing to sit back and do nothing, the freedoms that they are now experiencing- such as children leaving home, release them not step back but to get more involved in church life and service. Many of them see that their life experience has taught them to be resourceful and creative and they make sure that the leadership of the church know about it. I am not talking about letter stuffing or serving tea nor being referred to as veterans, but active in teaching ministries, pastoral work and counselling, mentoring and encouraging young men and women to be all they can be in Christ. Senior church leaders that neglect to listen and act by using baby boomers do so at their own risk.

When we have bats in belfries they are usually there to stay and they are not silent as would be expected. Their presence is always noticeable. My advice to baby boomers who feel they are not being used and noticed is to make a noise show the senior leaders what you can do. My advice to senior leaders is listen to the baby boomers and use them in significant positions of leadership not just as window dressing. If you are in this for the long term future then the next generation that comes after the baby boomers will be your bats in your belfry.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part One of The myths of following a Christian Leader.

Christian Leadership disconnects. When I look to a Christian Leader to be my covering, I look for four things; are they biblical and scripturally sound? Do they have a vision? Are they good motivators? And lastly, can I trust them? On the face of it you may see, these things are obvious and self evident. I am not so sure though, sometimes I find a disconnect that is not always so obvious. Don't get me wrong, I want to sit under a great leader no matter what size their church. I want to know I am being taught sound doctrine and biblical and scriptural principles. I want to follow a great vision that is full of direction, purpose and passion. I want to be motivated not just by words but action and deeds. I also want to be able to say that the person I serve, I trust. As Christian leaders we have to accept that the world we live in is becoming more and more complex. We deal with issues that our New Testament counterparts say little, if anything about.   It is no longer g...

Manifesto of Intentional Christian Leadership.

Manifesto: We Promise to do the following- with intent, when in Christian leadership: 1) People Matter. People are our purpose. People are not a means by which we can create our own ends. When we reach out to people they are our objective. 2) We will help people think. If people are our objective we will not get bogged down in the process. We will help people to think through our process in order to recognise our objective rather than just getting them to do and blindly follow. 3) Create great environments. We need to help people become great, not just fix their problems. We do this by creating great environments by which they can grow and build their relationship with God. 4) Create opportunities for initiative. People need to see and experience a spirit of excellence. They need to see opportunities where they can succeed rather than just avoid errors. 5) Be curious. As a leader you don't need to know everything even though a little knowled...

Playing well with others.

Today's rambling. Looking over some of my old school reports the other day and was amused at how some of the comments, that teachers made about me have shaped my life and in many respects made me who I am today. One teacher wrote that I didn’t play well with others, I was 5 at the time maybe I had an excuse. Another teacher in my high school years, the wood working teacher or wood shop teacher for my American friends wrote; “If you value your life you will keep him away from power tools and other dangerous equipment. I can’t remember why he wrote this, obviously I did something that made him fear for his life. Today as an adult I have to say that I don’t do well in committees, for most of my life I have been self- employed. I have steadfastly stayed away from power tools and other wood working equipment, basically anything that can cut something off and is a danger to life and limb. Over the last 10 years I have been looking at and teaching about Emotional Intelligence ...