Skip to main content

Getting the right Christian leader for the job.




I like to look at the Christian job websites and love reading the job descriptions posted, when churches are looking for pastors or senior leaders. It makes me wonder if they are looking for someone who will fit their understanding, their vision and their dreams or aspirations, or whether they are looking for what God wants. Below is a letter received by a church for such a position. Names and places have been changed to protect the innocent:

To the Leadership

Fickle Fellowship.

Fickle-under-Lyme.

Re: Senior leadership Pastor

To whom it may concern,

I would like to apply for the above mentioned position advertised on the Christian Jobs website.

I have many qualifications that I think will impress you. I have been empowered by the Holy Spirit to preach with power and have had some small success as a writer. Some say I have a gifting as an organiser, I have planted a number of churches but have not stayed very long in any of them. The longest I ever stayed in one place was about three years. I love missions and am a dab hand at organising mission tours. I have been a leader in most places I have served.

However in an endeavour to be frank, open and honest my ministry has not always been appreciated by a great number of people. I am over 50 years of age.  Sometimes I have had to leave a town or city because through my powerful preaching I upset a few people. I have to confess that I do have a criminal record and have served time in jail, but I have always maintained that I was innocent and in most cases I was set up. My health isn't good but I can still put in a full days hard work.

Most churches I have been in have been small and I have had to seek other employment in order to meet my needs.  Many religious leaders from other churches and denominations do not like my candid way of speaking, they have threatened me, sued me and even attacked me physically. I am not good at keeping records and I do forget people that I have baptised.

I humbly submit the above information and ask that you prayerfully consider my application.

I am sorry to say but this person was rejected out of hand and his rather clumsy letter tossed into the bin.

What these people didn't know is, they just rejected the greatest Christian leader of the last two thousand years. They rejected the Apostle Paul.

My point is; sometimes people, especially  church pastor recruiters, reject out of hand God's choice and go for their own choice. The person who will not rock their boat too much.

More food for thought maybe.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part One of The myths of following a Christian Leader.

Christian Leadership disconnects. When I look to a Christian Leader to be my covering, I look for four things; are they biblical and scripturally sound? Do they have a vision? Are they good motivators? And lastly, can I trust them? On the face of it you may see, these things are obvious and self evident. I am not so sure though, sometimes I find a disconnect that is not always so obvious. Don't get me wrong, I want to sit under a great leader no matter what size their church. I want to know I am being taught sound doctrine and biblical and scriptural principles. I want to follow a great vision that is full of direction, purpose and passion. I want to be motivated not just by words but action and deeds. I also want to be able to say that the person I serve, I trust. As Christian leaders we have to accept that the world we live in is becoming more and more complex. We deal with issues that our New Testament counterparts say little, if anything about.   It is no longer g...

Manifesto of Intentional Christian Leadership.

Manifesto: We Promise to do the following- with intent, when in Christian leadership: 1) People Matter. People are our purpose. People are not a means by which we can create our own ends. When we reach out to people they are our objective. 2) We will help people think. If people are our objective we will not get bogged down in the process. We will help people to think through our process in order to recognise our objective rather than just getting them to do and blindly follow. 3) Create great environments. We need to help people become great, not just fix their problems. We do this by creating great environments by which they can grow and build their relationship with God. 4) Create opportunities for initiative. People need to see and experience a spirit of excellence. They need to see opportunities where they can succeed rather than just avoid errors. 5) Be curious. As a leader you don't need to know everything even though a little knowled...

Playing well with others.

Today's rambling. Looking over some of my old school reports the other day and was amused at how some of the comments, that teachers made about me have shaped my life and in many respects made me who I am today. One teacher wrote that I didn’t play well with others, I was 5 at the time maybe I had an excuse. Another teacher in my high school years, the wood working teacher or wood shop teacher for my American friends wrote; “If you value your life you will keep him away from power tools and other dangerous equipment. I can’t remember why he wrote this, obviously I did something that made him fear for his life. Today as an adult I have to say that I don’t do well in committees, for most of my life I have been self- employed. I have steadfastly stayed away from power tools and other wood working equipment, basically anything that can cut something off and is a danger to life and limb. Over the last 10 years I have been looking at and teaching about Emotional Intelligence ...