Skip to main content

Christmas Holiday or real Commitment to the real Saviour.


Bells and Baubles are so prominent at the moment on our Christmas trees and in our shop windows. The glitter and the tinsel sparkle in the festive lights, seductively drawing us closer, enticing us to buy more to stash more presents under the tree. After all it's the season for giving, or is it.

Bells may ring and baubles dangle but Bethlehem is where my thoughts are at the moment. Not on giving but on sacrifice. Remember the sacrifice that Joseph made when he took Mary, already pregnant, to be his wife. Or the sacrifice, Mary made to reveal to her family that she was carrying a child, despite the ridicule and shame that would result from this revelation. The sacrifice that the Shepherds made to leave their flocks in the hills, at the mercy of predators, just to get a glimpse of God. Let us not forget God who made the ultimate sacrifice to give up His son to a sinful and forgetful world. Let us also remember the hundreds, if not thousands of people, who give up their day to serve us and keep us safe at this time of year, those in the health service, the armed service and the police force.


Cakes, cookies and feasting, a time to be merry and happy what more could you want, but let us not forget that the king of kings was born in a smelly cow shed and placed in a cow trough.  As we rush to prepare our Christmas feast, or we sit in Church on Christmas day, let us remember there are many living on the streets of our cities that will be cold and hungry this Christmas season. If we can, let us spare a thought for them and if we can help, give them something to be happy and merry about, that they too may have full tummy's and warm coats and the warm glow of knowing Jesus as we do.

The morbidly obese guy in a red suit and huge bushy white beard and rosy cheeks, we call Santa, seems to be the centre of our focus right now. However, as we all know he is not the reason for the season, no matter how many Christmas movies that the film and TV networks churn out to get us to think he is. Jesus Saviour of the world was born to reconcile a sinful forgetful world to its creator; he began a journey that ended in the ultimate sacrifice.

Bells, baubles or Bethlehem, Cake cookies or a cow trough, Santa or Saviour, these are our choices at this time of year.
As we move from 2022 to 2023 let us once again renew our commitment, not to worldly ideals that are pushed by the myriad of Christmas/Holiday movies, but a recommitment to serve our Lord Jesus Christ.
God Bless you all and may 2023 bring great blessing to you all.
Tim King
Tim King Leadership.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part One of The myths of following a Christian Leader.

Christian Leadership disconnects. When I look to a Christian Leader to be my covering, I look for four things; are they biblical and scripturally sound? Do they have a vision? Are they good motivators? And lastly, can I trust them? On the face of it you may see, these things are obvious and self evident. I am not so sure though, sometimes I find a disconnect that is not always so obvious. Don't get me wrong, I want to sit under a great leader no matter what size their church. I want to know I am being taught sound doctrine and biblical and scriptural principles. I want to follow a great vision that is full of direction, purpose and passion. I want to be motivated not just by words but action and deeds. I also want to be able to say that the person I serve, I trust. As Christian leaders we have to accept that the world we live in is becoming more and more complex. We deal with issues that our New Testament counterparts say little, if anything about.   It is no longer g...

Manifesto of Intentional Christian Leadership.

Manifesto: We Promise to do the following- with intent, when in Christian leadership: 1) People Matter. People are our purpose. People are not a means by which we can create our own ends. When we reach out to people they are our objective. 2) We will help people think. If people are our objective we will not get bogged down in the process. We will help people to think through our process in order to recognise our objective rather than just getting them to do and blindly follow. 3) Create great environments. We need to help people become great, not just fix their problems. We do this by creating great environments by which they can grow and build their relationship with God. 4) Create opportunities for initiative. People need to see and experience a spirit of excellence. They need to see opportunities where they can succeed rather than just avoid errors. 5) Be curious. As a leader you don't need to know everything even though a little knowled...

Playing well with others.

Today's rambling. Looking over some of my old school reports the other day and was amused at how some of the comments, that teachers made about me have shaped my life and in many respects made me who I am today. One teacher wrote that I didn’t play well with others, I was 5 at the time maybe I had an excuse. Another teacher in my high school years, the wood working teacher or wood shop teacher for my American friends wrote; “If you value your life you will keep him away from power tools and other dangerous equipment. I can’t remember why he wrote this, obviously I did something that made him fear for his life. Today as an adult I have to say that I don’t do well in committees, for most of my life I have been self- employed. I have steadfastly stayed away from power tools and other wood working equipment, basically anything that can cut something off and is a danger to life and limb. Over the last 10 years I have been looking at and teaching about Emotional Intelligence ...