Skip to main content

#Agenda 2 Engage in Strategic Planning


#Agenda 2 Engage in Strategic Planning

What is my agenda? My agenda is to help Pastors and Christian Leaders strategise and plan for the future I make no apologise for this.

I am amazed by the number of church leaders I meet who don’t know how to strategically plan. Sadly, strategic planning is not something normally taught at Bible college. A few church leaders can tell me what they want for their churches right now, and some can tell me their plan for the next twelve months. However, most leaders I’ve met do not know where they want their church to be in three to five years’ time, and even fewer would have a plan for the next ten years. “God will take care of that,” they often say to me.

Other leaders try to plan, but they don’t understand the concept or the detail required. They may find that they do not have the training or organizational skills to maintain a healthy, large church. They use a “pay-as-you-go” type of leadership.

Then there are leaders who realize they don’t have the abilities to raise up the other leaders required to sustain growth and continue the increase. This inadequacy can often lead to paranoid leadership because when new leaders finally do emerge to fill the obvious gaps, the original band of leaders become suspicious.

So what is strategic planning as it relates directly to our churches?

Simply put, strategic planning is an attempt to position the church within its environment. It is fully understanding where we have come from and how we got here, and then knowing where we want to go and how we want to get there. Before an organization or movement can form a strategic plan, it needs to have already done a number of things:

a.       Defined a clear vision (where they are going).

b.      Identified their core values. These values underpin who they are at a foundational level. They shape practices, decisions, and thought processes. Such values are non-negotiable.

c.       Set out a clear process by which the vision can be accomplished.

d.      Write it down and chart the course of actions to be taken.



A few things to think about perhaps. If you want to read more click on the link;

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part One of The myths of following a Christian Leader.

Christian Leadership disconnects. When I look to a Christian Leader to be my covering, I look for four things; are they biblical and scripturally sound? Do they have a vision? Are they good motivators? And lastly, can I trust them? On the face of it you may see, these things are obvious and self evident. I am not so sure though, sometimes I find a disconnect that is not always so obvious. Don't get me wrong, I want to sit under a great leader no matter what size their church. I want to know I am being taught sound doctrine and biblical and scriptural principles. I want to follow a great vision that is full of direction, purpose and passion. I want to be motivated not just by words but action and deeds. I also want to be able to say that the person I serve, I trust. As Christian leaders we have to accept that the world we live in is becoming more and more complex. We deal with issues that our New Testament counterparts say little, if anything about.   It is no longer g...

Manifesto of Intentional Christian Leadership.

Manifesto: We Promise to do the following- with intent, when in Christian leadership: 1) People Matter. People are our purpose. People are not a means by which we can create our own ends. When we reach out to people they are our objective. 2) We will help people think. If people are our objective we will not get bogged down in the process. We will help people to think through our process in order to recognise our objective rather than just getting them to do and blindly follow. 3) Create great environments. We need to help people become great, not just fix their problems. We do this by creating great environments by which they can grow and build their relationship with God. 4) Create opportunities for initiative. People need to see and experience a spirit of excellence. They need to see opportunities where they can succeed rather than just avoid errors. 5) Be curious. As a leader you don't need to know everything even though a little knowled...

Playing well with others.

Today's rambling. Looking over some of my old school reports the other day and was amused at how some of the comments, that teachers made about me have shaped my life and in many respects made me who I am today. One teacher wrote that I didn’t play well with others, I was 5 at the time maybe I had an excuse. Another teacher in my high school years, the wood working teacher or wood shop teacher for my American friends wrote; “If you value your life you will keep him away from power tools and other dangerous equipment. I can’t remember why he wrote this, obviously I did something that made him fear for his life. Today as an adult I have to say that I don’t do well in committees, for most of my life I have been self- employed. I have steadfastly stayed away from power tools and other wood working equipment, basically anything that can cut something off and is a danger to life and limb. Over the last 10 years I have been looking at and teaching about Emotional Intelligence ...